Some ugly facts, some pointing of fingers, some suggested solutions:
As an example of why American Christians probably ought to sober up and look outside ourselves (brace yourself)… perhaps second only to child exploitation in horrific, ugly, beyond-words evil, the mass rape of women is often used as a means of demoralizing the enemy in modern war. See here for an example from the Bosnian-Serbian conflict in the 1990’s where of an estimated 35,000 rapes, only 40 have been prosecuted in a court of law. There is no way around this most dark of human tendencies: war makes way for men to carry out the evil fantasies of their inner-teenager.
What do we do with this reality? You and I cannot physically relocate to central Europe or Congo to protect the women and children. We don’t have the power to lock up and/or execute the millions of potential rapists in war-heavy lands.
Yet there are a few things we can all do to expose this wicked darkness, and I think my own points here will be slightly different than your average social-justice suggestions.
- Christian churches need to repent of easy-believism, entertainment driven Sunday morning shows, and anything unbiblical and man-centered in doctrine.
That’s right. All of the problems in the world, including the very worst of them, stem from Christian people neglecting the world-saving truth of the gospel of Jesus Christ. It should look like this:
1) the Church stays on task, meaning we are going into all the nations preaching the gospel, baptizing people in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, and teaching them to observe all things that Jesus commanded.
2) the culture of every nation is transformed by the pervasive work of the Holy Spirit in saving many people for the glory of Christ, transforming many people in all different stations in life.
3) the attitudes and desires of the nations change according to the desire to be like Christ – to love God first and to love your neighbor as yourself.
4) wars are no longer necessary, and rape becomes a shameful memory. Women and children are treasured, protected, and loved with the love of Christ through His Church.
Surface-level Christianity leaves billions of people without hope, while we decide how big of an entertainment screen to install in our suburban spaceship… I mean, “church.”
The distraction of the Christian people in the world is the greatest enemy of women and children. While our mega-celebrity pastors are busy entertaining rich American people on their way to hell, poor, defenselessness women and children around the world are being raped and killed by Christ-less men. We here in American, rich churches have the information and resources to evangelize the world… but are much more comfortable playing with ourselves. Oh sure, there are the token missions trips we take, but most of that is laden with false, man-centered theology anyways. They are ultimately useless without the centrality of the liberating gospel of the forgiveness of sins by grace alone, through faith alone in Jesus alone.
- For those who are Christian, take the words of Jesus literally, and seriously.
He is the light of the world. We are not. Preach Him. He is the world-changer, not us!
He is the Good Shepherd. Bring people to Him – not ourselves.
He is the way, the truth, and the life: make people disciples of Him. These believers should be passionate about making Him known, and by nature of our regeneration, speaking up in the public square for justice and peace among all people.
Through faith in Jesus, know that your life is His, and that when you die, you will be raised again on the last day, unto eternal life with Him. Knowing and believing this fuels the self-sacrificing life of the Christian.
- Read the stories of the martyrs. Be inspired to, if necessary, die while spreading the true gospel.
- Be free of the love of this world system. Our banner is not first of all the U.S. Constitution, or capitalism, or military might. It is meekness, care for the poor, and surrounding all of it, the preaching of Christ and Him crucified.
- Stop supporting the pornography industry.
I am a hypocrite, for I am an AT&T customer, and they are one of the world’s largest suppliers of pornography (I need to change this). This means that AT&T is one of the world’s largest enablers of exploitation of the weak and defenseless. The porn industry feeds on broken people, and it feeds the fires of lust – the very fires which flame out in rape and torture of the world’s impoverished women. Before you click on porn, make sure you are consciously willing to enable rape and torture through financially feeding the monstrous darkness of men’s hearts.
On the flip-side, the porn addict needs more gospel, not behavior modification. Jesus died to save pornographers and their customers.
Disconnect the demand for porn, and you disconnect the greatest tool of the demonic power of sexual violence in the world.
- I note Exodus Cry as one of the most hopeful looking anti-sex-slavery organizations. Check them out!
- Pray for the return of Christ.
There is one event which promises the end of earthly human misery: the Day of our Lord… when He returns He will judge the living and the dead, and put an end to injustices everywhere.
- Be willing to go to the worst places on earth to bring the light of the gospel. Rapists in the armies of the world need Christ, and will never stop raping until His power and forgiveness reaches them.
- Raise awareness in Congress, and in your social media interactions. Speak up to expose the unfruitful works of darkness. Whether or not we can see the effects of our efforts, we must make noise against war and rape as a tool of war.
- Stop supporting the evil work of the U.S. Defense Department, Christian. The perpetual wars of the U.S.A. breed perpetual violence throughout the earth.
Our intelligence agencies feed weapons to many war zones, while doing little to nothing to protect innocent life in the path of the many evil men we are arming. In all of our wealth, we have the power to do good, and have chosen to instead have more and more war in every corner of the earth. Why do Republicans insist on $700 billion+ Pentagon budgets?
While our American military has done good things, and is necessary; in general today we are feeding the furnace of world violence, and need to reign in our use of force. At the least, Christians should withdraw our political support of war candidates, and influence our representatives to scale down our war machine.
There is only one hope, one cure for a world in darkness: Jesus Christ, and Him crucified. All the earth needs to hear His gospel. Without Him, without the preaching of Him and baptizing in His name, violence can only grow and darken throughout the world.
Come alive to your Lord, dear Christian, and let us make Him known in all the earth. When you see horrific things happening, respond with gospel preaching and the support of missionaries – and respond by meeting material needs. Don’t think the government will do your giving for you, let alone the true compassion that has to be behind charity.
Let us repent of our own sinful selfishness, and confess our sins to the Lord Jesus Christ. Let’s be serious minded Christians – it’s a serious world.
Thanks for reading,